Re: OpenPGP keys and Suite-B

2008-05-07 06:56:31

Andrey Jivsov <openpgp(_at_)brainhub(_dot_)org> writes:

Many of these issues, such as the security level of information, is
outside of traditional domain of OpenPGP. I suppose an e-mail
application in Suite-B environment might have a UI combobox with
SECRET/TOP SECRET choices in the compose window that magically (based
on content or at worst manually) are set to the correct level. The
rest is easier to program: this would allow software to check that
[TS] information is being sent to [S] key(s) and block it.

I am a bit boggled as to the point of this discusion.  It seems rather
unlikely that an OpenPGP software implementation will be approved to
handle classified traffic, and even less likely that a user on a
computer running a GUI will have available adequate MLS facilities to
choose the level of a message.

Are we talking about being able to have an OpenPGP implementation be
configured to follow Suite B guidelines for S or TS, intended for use
with unclassified information?  This would perhaps follow the reasonable
theory that such guidelines define best practices for algorithm choice.

Are we talking about hardened implementations that would implement mail
gateways between enclaves?

Or something else?  I don't mean to be difficult, but I really don't get
it.