Re: Series of minor questions about OpenPGP 4

2009-01-29 17:16:08
David Shaw wrote:
You revoke a 0x1F with a 0x30, same as you would use to revoke a
0x10-0x13.  0x1F is a certification.

Hold on here. What you write here obviously follows from the text of the RFC, so
I do not question it, but it does raise a semantic question.

Obviously, one reason for attaching certifications directly to a key rather than
to particular user IDs is to make them stick even if any particular user ID is
revoked or expires (or even all of them). So, if I want to make a statement
about a certain person rather than a user ID (concerning, e.g., his/her
trustworthiness as a certifier), I'd attach it directly to the key. There may be
several certifications by several people saying different things about the
person.

The question: how does one revoke one of them? A 0x30 computed directly on the
key (as the RFC specifies) revokes all of them (for which it is a designated
revoker), doesn't it? Is there no way to revoke just one?

--
Daniel