Re: [openpgp] "OpenPGP Simple"

2015-03-17 08:41:54
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Wyllys Ingersoll
<wyllys(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 3:03 AM Tim Bray <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I have repeatedly found it useful, even in recent times, to cut/paste
ASCII-armored messages on my mobile. Am I a Neanderthal?

No!  This was exactly my first thought also. ASCII Armor format is extremely
useful for passing the messages from app-to-app via the system clipboard
using copy-and-paste.  As a mobile PGP developer, there are situations where
this is the most convenient way to move the PGP message/key from a non-PGP
enabled app (like most standard mobile mail clients) and into an app that
can decode/decrypt it correctly.

If ASCII Armor is to be deprecated, I would hope that we at least replace it
with something else that can be easily copied-and-pasted.

I do hope (more generally) that this new spec does not seek change for
change's sake.

Things that are (or are likely to be) a security flaw should be
corrected, and some things that make the spec hard to implement should
be streamlined.  Features that are no longer used should be removed.
That's all.