Re: [openpgp] "OpenPGP Simple"

2015-03-16 21:10:42
David Shaw <dshaw(_at_)jabberwocky(_dot_)com> writes:
On Mar 16, 2015, at 5:15 PM, David Leon Gil <coruus(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Partial lengths are really a nuisance to parse.

No argument there...

The whole bizarro sort-of-fixed-point encoding of lengths is a pain (this is a
cue for Jon to do his "every bit is sacred" dance).  If the format is revised,
there should be only two lengths, a 16-bit one for almost everything (keyring
data, signatures, etc), and a 32-bit one for payloads and partial lengths that
are going to exceed 16-bit lengths.  Length-decoding shouldn't be any more
complicated than:

read tag;
if( tag & length_32_flag )
  length = read32();
else
  length = read16();

While I'm venting, shall I get started on the MDC kludge?

Peter.