Re: [openpgp] "OpenPGP Simple"

2015-03-17 10:33:22
Phill <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

But that 32 bit length really worries me. Just because people can’t
send 4GB messages today does not mean that they can’t or won’t in the
future. Do not build OpenPGP around assumptions based on SMTP
continuing forever. Use today is not limited to mail in any case.

If I have a 1TB archive file I am not going to want to break it into
chunks just to encrypt it.

That's what partial (indefinite) lengths are for.  But the point is that
each "size" parameter is 32 bits, always, instead of having a 1, 2, or
5-byte length parameter.

[snip]
Again, I am not sure that a complete overhaul is desirable. Just
pruning back the unnecessary features is probably sufficient.

+1

-derek
       warlord(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU                        PGP key available