Re: [openpgp] How to re-launch the OpenPGP WG

2015-03-19 18:14:10
As a branding issue, I would pick the name PGP/MIME for the working group
and make the focus decrufting legacy bits of PGP and making a MIME based
scheme the new common denominator for framing.

If there was also a clearly defined strategy for interop with S/MIME
credentials then such a specification could be positioned as the future
upgrade path for OpenPGP and S/MIME.

Since an S/MIME credential can be turned into a fingerprint pretty easily
and the fingerprints are what people actually use in practice to exchange
OpenPGP mail. This is not exactly a major problem.

(Yes I know that there is a PGP/MIME mode at the moment. but that isn't the
point).

Think of it as embrace and extend...