Re: [openpgp] How to re-launch the OpenPGP WG

2015-03-26 19:14:07
On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 23:27 +0000, ianG wrote:
SHA3 because it has sponge, it can do MACs, it can do stream ciphers, it
can do authenticated stream ciphers, it can brew the morning tea if you
plug it in the right way.
+1

Here's my big criticism of the IETF process:  like all processes it
eventually ends up becoming a place for people to create silos of
knowledge and careers, and eventually divorces itself from what's
happening out there in the real world.  But it holds the keys to some
powerful Internet protocol components, and while it's not bringing in
the new, outside knowledge, the IETF WG becomes the blockage, the inner
sanctum, the guilds that the IETF swore to bring down.

So what do we do?  Leave?  Stay?  Fight?
So do you have any better proposal idea?

Anything more governmental (ISO, national standardisation bodies) or
more commercial (ECMA) would IMHO be quite bad (since they're all known
to be rather on the dark side of the force, and while they may have
cookies, it's probably not what we should want).

Not much is left the in the free/community world.... W3? Far too much in
committee mode either, far to easily influenced by big players (see the
whole HTML5 DRM stuff).

Doing it independently... doesn't seem appealing either.

I'd say IETF is quite the right place.

Cheers,
Chris.