Re: [openpgp] Manifesto - who is the new OpenPGP for?

2015-04-02 12:56:18
On 26/03/2015 03:56 am, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Tim Bray <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>
wrote:
You guys are taking it as axiomatic that a high-quality UX can't be provided
for users of OpenPGP.  Used OpenKeychain recently? Not quite there yet, but
I think your axiom is looking a little shaky.

Certainly not me.

That's a very important observation. I don't take it as axiomatic, I take it as somewhere between very hard and the wrong question.

Almost the whole problem comes down to time & knowledge. As I never tire of saying, what we knew in 1992 is no longer state of the art; we've moved on since then:

Messaging is no longer the same: we need chat, voice & video, and these are challenging in formats, patterns and networking, but also open up possibilities for authentication. Including Tom Ritter's challenging post. PGP was designed for cut&paste email, that's not only the least interesting thing, it's also an older generation thing which might not be worth protecting at all in 20 years. With a nod to PHB's approach of toughest first.

Storage has changed: we no longer consider a message over the wire as the same thing as a message at rest on disk. We do/don't keep video chat, we do/don't take naughty snaps using screen shots. We do/don't share huge files (movies) for which OpenPGP is entirely unsuited because it assumes everything is a datagram, and 16G datagrams aren't supported by any other software.

Evidence has changed: we do/don't keep transcripts around for evidence. We do/don't think of digsigs as human signatures. We do/don't worry about removal of files. We do/don't consider the wire to be a threat and we do/don't consider our counterparty to be a threat.

WoTs are no longer the same: we now have social networks, which love them or hate them, have raised the bar so substantially that the PGP's communal notions of WoT are vestigial.

Value has changed: we now have serious and competing payment systems, all of whom want to integrate with all aspects of life.

Computing & networking has changed: we can no longer rely on our own trusted platform. We can't rely on "one platform" and we can't rely on ownership, eg BYOD. Instead it's all mobile, and we're at the mercy of what we get given, and what they bring. Small factors, always present, always online, always travelling.

Our models of shared computing are changing: As Derik mentioned, PGP started in a keys-in-pocket age, but we also had client-server + enrollment with S/MIME. Then there's social networking, and now there's cloud. Popular is blockchain, various groups are trying to put 'identity' onto a shared context, which also answers part of Derik's implied permissionless requirement.

So, what do we want to use PGP for, and is that still good?

In 1992, almost everything about securely using the Internet could be answered by saying "use PGP". In 2015, almost nothing about security using the Internet can be answered by "use PGP" at least the old one.

iang

PrismProof email makes S/MIME completely frictionless in use by
essentially grafting the PGP fingerprint trust model onto S/MIME.

I think the idea that we are going to get anywhere by pointing to the
faults in opposing systems is also flawed.

S/MIME and PGP have both suffered from lousy usability because the
original trust models simply don't work. X.509 is fine as a
certificate format, but there is no key discovery infrastructure until
deployment of X.500 is complete. Web of Trust is a fine academic
theory but it is not how OpenPGP is really used in the real world.

The lesson here that I draw is to look at how people are actually
using OpenPGP in practice and work out ways to apply the same approach
to other similar problems.

I do use one trick I borrowed from TimBL, take all the information you
need to establish a connection and smoosh it together in one
identifier:

AB7LRE-3EKR7K-ECT2KV2-7ATCFH-DXB?alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com

But more recently, I have been playing about with games similar to .onion:

alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com._AB7LRE-3EKR7K-ECT2KV2-7ATCFH-DXB
http://example.com._AB7LRE-3EKR7K-ECT2KV2-7ATCFH-DXB/

OK, so what is going on here? Well we have a fingerprint as the
rightmost (i.e. most important) item in the DNS identifier. Which
means 'require a signed security policy describing how to interact
with the identifier to the left.'

So if you want to send email to alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com, do so under a
security policy that is signed under a key with the fingerprint
AB7LRE-3EKR7K-ECT2KV2-7ATCFH-DXB.

That security policy could say something like 'use PGP encryption to this key'.

One of the things OpenPGP proves is that we can quite easily build an
infrastructure that maps from a fingerprint to a security policy. But
one of the major changes since BaL and David and co put the MIT PGP
server together, the Harber-Stornetta patents have expired and we now
have better options like TRANS (or the BitCoin blockchain without the
need to wade through treacle).