Re: [openpgp] ways forward wrt IETF wg - please try answer by Apr 8th

2015-04-02 12:55:19
On 1/04/2015 19:57 pm, Stephen Farrell wrote:
It would also really help me (and I suspect others) evaluate
messages if you could say something about how you fit into
the openpgp universe ...

In the period 1995-2002 approx I managed a team called Cryptix which produced Java & Perl implementations of PGP 2 and then OpenPGP. This was originally written to support a payments system that based its crypto/security packets on PGP. (Sometime around 2012 I replaced the Cryptix & OpenPGP with a custom cut-down internal design I call SKF for SOX Key Format.)

option 4: move beyond openpgp (or smime) to develop a new
flavour of end-to-end security for interpersonal messaging,
possibly not that tightly coupled to email, but at least
supporting an email flavour
option 4t: option 4 + add some trust model/key management

Option 4t is what I would favour.

The reason being that I have since replaced all the direct OpenPGP code with my own design, because it's more efficient (lean, easier to hack), and it meets the needs of the late 2000s identity concept I work to. I wouldn't go backwards but I could possibly go forward to a newer design/architecture that incorporated much of the new knowledge.

And, say options 3t or option 4 is also possible to a lesser extent.

iang