Re: [openpgp] Fingerprints

2015-04-13 12:58:54
On 13/04/2015 18:32 pm, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Given the way fingerprints are used, there is an intense pressure to
use a single algorithm for everything. That is why I think that we
should pick either SHA-2-512 or SHA-3-512 and truncate as necessary.

If SHA-2-512, then I'm happy to truncate as necessary.

If SHA-3, it is a sponge function internally so it is designed to do the "truncation" or rather "expansion" already and it'd be a shame not to use that feature directly.

(as an aside, I think we should go with Keccak entirely as it'll be out soon enough in NIST form as SHA-3, and it has substantial other benefits.)

iang