Re: [openpgp] Fingerprints

2015-04-14 19:36:19
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM, ianG <iang(_at_)iang(_dot_)org> wrote:
On 13/04/2015 18:32 pm, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Given the way fingerprints are used, there is an intense pressure to
use a single algorithm for everything. That is why I think that we
should pick either SHA-2-512 or SHA-3-512 and truncate as necessary.

If SHA-2-512, then I'm happy to truncate as necessary.

If SHA-3, it is a sponge function internally so it is designed to do the
"truncation" or rather "expansion" already and it'd be a shame not to use
that feature directly.

It makes no difference to the security and requires specific features
most libraries are unlikely to support. Digging in to the internal
functions of crypto algorithms is very much to be avoided.

Besides which, it loses the convenience of small fingerprints being
the first few digits of a long one.