Re: [openpgp] rfc3880bis - hard expiration time

2015-05-04 10:10:03

On Mon, May 4, 2015 11:02 am, Nicholas Cole wrote:
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Derek Atkins <derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com>
wrote:

[snip]

Has there *ever* been a confirmed attack that this feature would have
prevented?

Yes.

Citation please?

I'm afraid I am not at liberty to disclose that information.  Sorry.

However even back in 1993 there were projects to test the strength of PGP
Key Material based on factoring attacks.  The RSA-129 project came about
through one of those discussions, and I seem to recall that at least one
RSA Key was factored after RSA-129.   I don't have a reference for that
effort (and my google fu isn't working immediately).

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com