Re: [openpgp] User ID Packet: expand recommendation to include hostname

2015-07-21 07:35:48
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:08, neal(_at_)walfield(_dot_)org said:
Hi,

Simon pointed out to me in another context that the user id (section
5.11 of RFC 4880) is not always in RFC 2822 name-addr format, but is
sometimes simply a hostname.  I think we should expand the
recommendation in that section to cover this usage.

The name-addr convention has served us well for more than 20 years and I
see no reason to explicitly recommend the use of just a hostname.  I see
no problem which will be solved by this.  In case the hostname shall be
used similar to a a user id (e.g. for DNS lookup), it is easier to use a
pseudo mail address like hostmaster(_at_)foo(_dot_)example(_dot_)org.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner