Re: [openpgp] User ID Packet: expand recommendation to include hostname

2015-07-21 16:15:56
On Tue 2015-07-21 19:04:22 +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
At Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:32:29 +0200,
Werner Koch wrote:
Simon pointed out to me in another context that the user id (section
5.11 of RFC 4880) is not always in RFC 2822 name-addr format, but is
sometimes simply a hostname.  I think we should expand the
recommendation in that section to cover this usage.

The name-addr convention has served us well for more than 20 years and I
see no reason to explicitly recommend the use of just a hostname.  I see
no problem which will be solved by this.  In case the hostname shall be
used similar to a a user id (e.g. for DNS lookup), it is easier to use a
pseudo mail address like hostmaster(_at_)foo(_dot_)example(_dot_)org.

I'm not making a recommendation about what should be done, but
suggesting we update the RFC to reflect current practice.

Can you point to existing examples of this usage (by fingerprint,
maybe)?

In the monkeysphere project we use the User ID for servicenames like
ssh://example.com or https://example.com but not raw hostnames.  I don't
think i've seen many raw hostnames, though.

      --dkg