Re: [openpgp] [dane] The DANE draft

2015-07-27 01:50:43
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 11:11, paul(_at_)nohats(_dot_)ca said:

X.509 parsers where not needed. If you don't think X.509 is a problem,
then you haven't been paying attention to CVE's.

There is a lot more X.509 code in use than OpenPGP code and thus it
might be unfair to compare CVE counts.  But sure, BER encoding along
with all bug compatibility stuff is a mess.

Actually, a quick ldd on /usr/bin/gpg* shows no libraries that I know of
that do PKIX. And it would be good not to add new ones just because we

Do it on gpgsm and dirmngr and you will find libksba [1] which provides
the X.509 and CMS parser and builder.  gpgsm does high level processing
including validation and dirmngr takes care of CRLs and OCSP.

I also find it _really_ ironic that it is not the openpgp key servers
that you are calling "vast, aging and vaguely understood infrastructure"
because if anything is a dangerous misunderstood mess that we cannot
seem to clean up, it is the current electronic garbage heap of pgp
keys we can never clean up because the owners lost their keys or

We do not want to clean that up - there is and should be no need to ever
delete a public key from a public server.

Unfortunatly the keyservers are also the only working solution to map
mail addresses to keys/fingerprints.  This is the practical problem we
need to solve - not the public storage of the keys.

the keys were generated and uploaded by those not actually being the
real owners of those email address specified in the openpgp key id.

What is an "owner" of a mail address?  Definitely nothing a keyserver
has to decide.

It is _really_ difficult to design any other method of openpgp key
distribution that would be _worse_ than the current key servers.

Nope.  As I menotioned: distribution is not the problem.  Association of
mail addresses to keys is the problem because the WoT does not really
scale.

And this is an actual real problem. There is no valid reason for needing
to "work around" an experimental proposal that has a significant backing
of people in the IETF, the mail community and opensource software

Experimental? I might be confused but draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-03
states Standards Track and Intended Status.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

[1] KSBA = rot13("XFON")  // X-Five-O-Nine