Re: [openpgp] Followup on fingerprints

2015-08-07 05:07:04

On 7 Aug 2015, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Here, 100, 125 or 150 bits seem fine for a printed fingerprint and
256 bits is comfortable for an internal one. Do we really need to go
further?

I'm not even sure what an "internal" fingerprint is supposed to be, or
where it is supposed to be used.  A fingerprint is the one true unique
identifier for a key, diverging from this "internally" misses the point
of that.

I also agree with Werner on the aspect that the openpgp rfc should
specify what a fingerprint is purely from a data perspective.  How it is
printed or otherwise represented is not something we should go into
there.

 - V