Re: [openpgp] Followup on fingerprints

2015-08-09 10:49:25
I am more and more convinced of the wisdom of Alan Karp when he insists that any system which uses a hash must specify what happens when there is a hash collision. He points out that anytime data longer than the hash output is hashed, there is the possibility of a collision, which is true when calculating key fingerprints.

Now the consequences may be severe or trivial. If a PGP message routing application uses the fingerprint to select the destination, the consequence of a collision may be as trivial as routing messages to recipients who can't decrypt them, or the more serious consequence of not sending messages to the recipient who can decrypt them. The exercise of figuring out what will happen results in better design.

There has also been an undertone of, "If we can't come up with an attack, there aren't any." in this thread. I find this attitude very dangerous as new classes of attacks (e.g. power analysis) are constantly being discovered.

I would suggest wording in the security considerations section something like:

"During the design process, any application using key fingerprints SHOULD characterize the consequences of a fingerprint collision on the application's security and implementation integrity, particularly when using fewer bits than the output of the fingerprint hash."

Cheers - Bill