Re: [openpgp] First 4880bis drafts

2015-11-04 11:34:46
* Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> [04/11/2015 12:51:25] wrote:

   o  Added Camellia cipher from RFC 5581.

Hrm. I'm against this. CAMELLIA is going to be deprecated in e.g.
TLS because barely anyone uses it. I'm explicitly excluding anything
other than AES128 or 256 from my GnuPG config currently, I haven't
noticed any breakage in almost a year:
https://github.com/azet/dotfiles/blob/master/.gnupg/gpg.conf

If we're all going to choose our favorite cipher, without real
arguments as to new security features or performance, we're going to
end up like this:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/tls-parameters.xhtml

The ECC addition makes sense, but I'd also limit the number of
possible curves to a few vetted ones instead of verbatim including
all those NIST curves. For example: do we want to keep P256? Or are
we going with a higher 'security level' alltogether? I consider this
cruft that should be removed. Why not just use Curve25519 and
Goldilocks?

(Again; sorry if that has already been discussed, I've been very
busy the last couple of months and didn't follow every e-mail
thread, though I tired to look these topics up by searching them)

Aaron