Re: [openpgp] First 4880bis drafts

2015-11-05 12:19:21

brian m. carlson wrote:
As Werner pointed out, Camellia has been around for some time.  It's
also good to have enough diversity that if someone comes out with a
major attack against AES, we're not totally sunk.  Camellia is a Feistel
cipher, while AES is a substitution-permutation network, which means
that attacks are unlikely to work against both.

Ok - so what's the threat model here? Are we really expecting AES to be
broken anytime soon? Really? And we're suggesting to keep ciphers around
that have seen far less cryptanalysis?

I believe Google's End-to-End is using the NIST curves, and there are
already keys using these curves.  I think Curve25519 and Goldilocks
would be valuable due to their rigidity and the CFRG endorsement.

Wasn't aware that end2end already has a userbase (after all, for a very
long time the GitHub repo stated 'experimental code - do not use').
Likewise Curve25519 is available in GnuPG expert mode (it says use is
discouraged though - and keyservers won't accept it).

Aaron