Re: [openpgp] DRAFT minutes for OpenPGP at IETF 94

2015-11-08 04:55:02
On 6/11/2015 14:11 pm, Werner Koch wrote:
Hi Lutz,

On Fri,  6 Nov 2015 09:58, lutz(_at_)iks-jena(_dot_)de said:

Requiring the user to stick with old, unmaintained software (which might not
even run on it's current system and can't be compiled for the new

We promised to keep on maintaining GnuPG 1.4, which is that old copy:
all RFC-4880 features.  You would need that for VMS anyway ;-).

Thus there is at least one maintained old software.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what we write in the standard - some software maintainers will do the right thing because their users will revolt if they don't.

However, the "right thing" is a slippery concept. It isn't a universal good, it's not a UN-mandated personal right. Werner's right thing is not the right thing for the future and not the right thing for new users or other users or even for his users - all of them or all of the time.

If we want everyone in 2025 to be using the good stuff we design today in 2015, then *we have to be fierce* about chopping away the old 2.3 cruft every chance we get.

iang