Re: [openpgp] Mining protection in fingerprint schemes

2016-04-08 16:59:13
On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 06:30:07AM +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:
Bryan Ford <brynosaurus(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:
The whole idea of providing some form of “mining-resistance” in a fingerprint
scheme is to enable the key-owner to invest some effort at key-creation time,
to ensure that any attacker who wants to try to mine for a key with a
similar-
looking fingerprint will have to invest a *lot* more time and effort, not
just
a little.

I'm not sure if this is worth the effort, see "Do Users Verify SSH Keys?",
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/login/articles/105484-Gutmann.pdf.  The
solution isn't to try and patch up something that inherently doesn't work
(look at browser PKI for a twenty-year, and still running, example of trying
to do that) but to look for alternative approaches to dealing with the
problem.

I agree.  I think we're approaching this problem the wrong way.  The
approach I like is what OpenKeychain is doing with QR codes: you scan
the QR code, which contains the fingerprint.  No manual verification is
necessary.  We should design systems that make it easy for people to get
right, instead of trying to defeat people being lazy.  People are always
going to be lazy, and we should aim to have that have as little impact
on security as possible.
+1 832 623 2791 | https://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only