Re: [openpgp] Deprecate legacy hash algorithms

2017-03-17 13:10:14

On Mar 17, 2017, at 2:00 AM, Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:

Hi,

Here is my suggestion on how to deprecate hash algorithms.  The new text
is:

 Implementations MUST implement SHA-256.  Implementations MAY implement
 other algorithms.  Implementations MUST NOT create messages which
 require the use of SHA-1 with the exception of computing version 4 key
 fingerprints and for purposes of the MDC packet.  Implementations MUST
 NOT use MD5 or RIPE-MD/160.

My only comment is that if you're going to "deprecate" as opposed to "ban" then
the term needs to be SHOULD NOT rather than MUST NOT. MUST NOT is a ban, not
deprecation.

I prefer deprecation (SHOULD NOT) over banning (MUST NOT)  because a ban leads
either to people being silly about a lack of backwards compatibility or they
just defiantly ignore the ban.

        Jon