Re: [openpgp] AEAD encrypted data packet with EAX

2017-07-03 11:49:50
On Mon,  3 Jul 2017 18:00, sandals(_at_)crustytoothpaste(_dot_)net said:

Were there opinions on this proposal?  Do people like it, dislike it,

I have an opinion on your proposal but wanted to give others time to
reply first ;-).  I have had too many other open tasks this year so that
my editorial work was too much delayed, I am sorry for this.

I have two points, briefly:

1. The prior discussion showed that it will be hard to find a common
   conclusion on what algorithm to use.  Thus instead of having one
   fixed algorithm, I will propose a modification to make the new packet
   format extensible.  I know that this had a lot of drawbacks and
   having only one algorithm would be far better than a bunch of
   algorithms which we may all need to implement.  But the advantage of
   allow other algorithms will give the implementers more options to
   to show in practice the advantages of different algorithms.

2. We really should have a way to early detect a corrupt message - not
   necessary an attack but for example a bit flip somewhere on the
   channel.  Inserting a running checksum (say, every 1GiB) would solve
   this.  Obviously this depends on the algorithms, so that the existing
   cipher state can be used for such a checksum.  A hackish way to that
   could be to take the internal state of the algorithm, hash it and
   insert it into the stream.  A cleaner solution would require several
   concatenated cipher streams.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner