Re: [openpgp] AEAD encrypted data packet with EAX

2017-07-21 17:22:08
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 11:43:02PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
I have a proposed pull request for a streaming AEAD encrypted data
packet using EAX mode[0].  I will send a patch shortly.

EAX is a block cipher mode combining CTR mode and OMAC.  It is similar
to CCM and is considered secure.  It can be easily implemented securely
in a variety of languages using the CBC and CTR modes available in most
cryptographic libraries.

I've updated my proposal and will be sending out a series of three
patches shortly.  As Werner suggested, I've moved the IV requirements to
the mode specification and I've expanded the possible values of the
cipher type octet.

New in this proposal are patches for proposed text for a v5 SKESK packet
with AEAD and a secret key packet with AEAD.  These packets use a fixed
value of 10 for the chunk size octet (a chunk of 65536 bytes), which
essentially means that the entire encrypted data will be in one chunk,
even if we adopt post-quantum algorithms in the future.  This simplifies
implementation with a unified code path.

I welcome comments on this proposal with the goal of trying to get
consensus.
https://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only