Re: [openpgp] Proposal to include AEAD OCB mode to 4880bis

2017-10-27 06:14:09
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:38, hanno(_at_)hboeck(_dot_)de said:

Don't add multiple algorithms unless there isn't a very good reason for
it. Add one that is good for everything. Having a "may" algorithm only

There is a good reason for adding a MAY mode:

- We want an AEAD mode.
- The WG seems not to like OCB for political (patent) reasons.
- Thus the proposed solution is to require EAX but prepare for other
  modes.
- OCB has been suggested as such another mode.
- We can add it to rfc4880bis as MAY mode to give a specification in
  case someone will implement it anyway.

Consider what will happen if we don't do this: OCB may be implemented
anyway but at best an I-D extending RFC4880bis is used as specification.
Or worse, there is no spec at all and everyone implements it in slightly
different ways.

Also: The first revisions of I-Ds for RFC6637 (ECC for OpenPGP)
specified _only_ NIST curves and didn't allowed for any other curves.
This has been challenged and fortunately RFC6637 allows for arbitrary
curves, albeit less well specified.  Without that semi-MAY we would not
have been able to deploy software using modern curves.  Patents on ECC
are still a minefield but nevertheless everyone is moving towards ECC.

The GPG protocol is far more complex than it has to be.

You mean OpenPGP.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner