Re: [openpgp] Proposal to include AEAD OCB mode to 4880bis

2017-10-31 04:19:25
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017, Ronald Tse wrote:

I’m sure Rich could shine more light on this, but OpenSSL has already received
a specific OCB license from Prof. Rogaway that allows users of OpenSSL to use OCB
freely, including when
linked against proprietary code (It’s on the OpenSSL website). Note that the
OpenSSL license is more broad than License 1 and 2 on the OCB FAQ page.
As mentioned, Prof. Rogaway is willing to file an IPR statement allowing the
use of OCB for all OpenPGP implementations, so I think the patent issue can
probably be put to rest here.

The recent I'm asking is because openssl is being relicensed and I don't
know how this affects things.

As for getting a license for openpgp (and TLS), putting support in a
general library where it can be used for other things is still an issue
that needs to be looked at by lawyers, not engineers. And since that
in itself will impact whether OCB would be made available in generic
distributions, I don't think this issue can be put to rest yet.

Paul