Re: [openpgp] AEAD mode unverified chunks

2018-07-01 22:03:44
Marcus Brinkmann
<marcus.brinkmann=40ruhr-uni-bochum(_dot_)de(_at_)dmarc(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>
writes:

My reading is that the nonces for individual chunks are derived from the
message IV by XORing an index number. See the subsections on EAX and OCB that
follow.

Sure, however if in the future someone adds another AEAD mode, and in
particular the very fashionable (in fact I'm surprised it isn't already in
there) but also very brittle GCM, then safe IV handling is criticial to
security.  It's just a personal preference, but I'd add a somewhat stronger
warning to the text in 5.16 for per-chunk unique/random IVs and the
consequences of not using them when some AEAD modes are used.

Peter.