[openpgp] respecting key flags for decryption

2018-11-07 09:29:18

Hey folks,

I'd like to get some opinions on a thing:

When a message is encrypted to a public key whose key flags indicate that it may
not be used for encryption - should the receiving implementation still decrypt
data using this key?

Personally I think the only cryptographically sane thing to do is to reject the
data. There is no valid use case for this, and if it happens it's either a bug
or an attack happening. I would also welcome a clarification in the spec that
explicitly stated that a key MUST not be used for purposes that aren't indicated
by its key flags.

The reason why I bring this up is that it does come up in practice and at the
moment, there is no consensus on how to handle such a case between OpenKeychain
and GnuPG. See:
https://github.com/open-keychain/open-keychain/issues/2413
https://dev.gnupg.org/T4235

Cheers