Re: [openpgp] respecting key flags for decryption

2018-11-08 16:32:09
Vincent Breitmoser <look@my.amazin.horse> writes:

The reason this happened, I strongly suspect, is exactly because they treated
GnuPG as a reference implementation: they tested that it worked against GnuPG
(or some frontend), found it worked in practice (without even a warning), and
then left it at that.

This is a problem with several protocols where there's a single widely-used
implementation.  It also affects SSH, a standards-conformant implementation
isn't something that follows RFC 4251-4, it's something that you can connect
to with Putty (server) or that connects to OpenSSH (client).  That really is
the conformance-test for SSH, "we can connect to it with Putty, it's now
complete and fully standards-compliant".

Maybe all of these unofficial reference implementations need a strict-checking
mode for when they're being (incorrectly) used as reference implementations...

Peter.