Re: [openpgp] Web Key Directory I-D -07

2018-11-13 15:15:25
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:35,
bartbutler=40protonmail(_dot_)com(_at_)dmarc(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
said:

routing in the same way for WKD as it does for incoming mail. As such,
things like case, subaddresses with +, catch-all, etc. will

We had some internal discussion and came to the conclusion that it is
best to not care about sub-addresses in the protocol.  It should be a
MUA only thing and nobody should create a key for a subaddress.

With the help of Kristian I took a look at the 5.3 million keys on the
SKS servers and we found only 3055 unique mailboxes with a '+' in it.
After removing leading and trailing '+' as well as multiple '+'
(e.g. "c++" or "foo+bar+baz") 2697 were left which seem to be valid
sub-addresses.

Now this is definitely a minority and there oweners can be asked (or
gpg-wks-client does it on the fly) to create another user-id without the
subaddress.

To help MUAs, I started to change gpg to strip off sub-addresses; at
least for WKD queries.

So if I request from ProtonMail Bart(_dot_)Butler(_at_)protonmail(_dot_)com,
I would
get a key back with bartbutler(_at_)protonmail(_dot_)com, and the clients
could

I doubt that we can do anything about this except for adding another
user id to the key.  There would be just too many cases and that simple
protocol would be much complex to implement and also fully lose the
property of a simple one to one match.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner