Re: [openpgp] AEAD Chunk Size

2019-03-29 08:20:42
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 13:53:42 +0100,
Peter Gutmann wrote:

Neal H. Walfield <neal(_at_)walfield(_dot_)org> writes:

I'm having trouble imagining why a larger chunk size would ever be better in
either of these cases.

 - File encryption: smaller chunk size means finding errors faster

See my followup messages, for data at rest you probably don't care about
errors at all, and if you really do then having the report at the whole-file
level is fine.  What's the benefit gained from knowing that the 64kB block at
offset xyz is corrupt?

But what is the cost?  I would say there is basically none.  So it
makes no sense to me to optimize for this case.  It's irrelevant.

So, why make the important case (when you actually do want to stream)
more complicated?

As I mentioned earlier, we really need some data on real-world use cases
rather than hypothesising problematic corner cases that will rarely, if ever,
occur.

Efail occured.  Why is that not enough?