Re: [openpgp] Deriving an OpenPGP secret key from a human readable seed

2019-10-17 05:20:55

Kai Engert <kaie(_at_)kuix(_dot_)de> wrote:
    > - look at existing encrypted email, an extract the key ID, to understand
    > which key needs to be recovered. But that might be a subkey ID, so
    > further searching is required to identify the ID of the master key?

Maybe they can't get access to their IMAP folder until they decrypt their
backup, so I think that this is a more reasonable concern.

But, I think you have over-constrained the problem space.

    >> I'm not personally very convinced about this general approach -- it's
    >> the equivalent of an unchangeable password that you've committed to
    >> publicly

    > Why do you consider it equivalent, if the seed was randomly generated,
    > and the list of words isn't influenced by the user?

It's equivalent to a system generated password.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-