Re: [openpgp] WG Review: Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy (openpgp)

2020-11-26 21:27:36

Hi Rich,

On 27/11/2020 02:53, Salz, Rich wrote:
What is different that folks think it will succeed this time?

That's a fair question. My substantive reaction is twofold:

1: DKG has done and is willing to do a pile more work on
exactly the (limited) topic of the WG, and I don't believe
he's alone at all in striving to help folks generate a stable
update to our base RFC. So if we can get a sufficient number
of other sensible folks concentrated, then it may work.
The plan (well, really DKG's fine plan), is to try find a
way to enable WG participants to decide the smallish set
of non-trivial issues shown up by that analysis on a
weekly or bi-weekly schedule until we've collectively
decided on success. My minor input is that, based on my
respect for PGP implementers and people who've worked on
the code and documents for years, is that I think that plan's
definitely worth a shot. (None of the above means to discount
the work done by editors/implementers since the last official
incarnation of the openpgp WG, but I think your question
relates more to likely WG success than to history.)

2: I think PGP is an important protocol, that we should
document as well as we (the IETF) can, so the fact that
a previous iteration of this effort didn't pan out is not
a reason to fail to try again. As is true with many things,
once you get the timing right, everything else falls into
place: - my gut is sufficiently insistent that the time is
close enough to maybe-right, that I said yes when asked to
co-chair;-) That's not a particularly convincing argument
for anyone else of course, but it worked enough for me.

So, bottom line: it'll be good if it works, so is very
worth trying again. And I hope we can get your fine input
to that as we go.

Cheers,
S.