Re: [openpgp] ECC point encoding and "flag byte"

2021-03-03 16:39:05
On 2021-03-03 at 12:26 +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
1: Opaque Data Element should be available in OpenPGP

RFC 4880 and RFC 6637 were good, when it was common to represent data
in big-endian format.

These days, in modern ECC, things are defined in little-endian
format.

In this situation, it's good to have a data element which can
represent **something in native format** (or anything, hopefully).

No, you can't. Or rather, I expect it is an issue of terminology :-)
Written that way, it seems that you refer to the data being in the
system native *endianness*. Which you can't do, since it must be
possible to create a key on a big endian machine and use it (both the
public and the private one) on a little endian endian machine, or vice
versa.
On the other hand, if you mean an opaque blob private to the algorithm,
that's perfectly fine (and what's already there, I think) *but* you
need to define it anyway, it doesn't matter if it's in the OpenPGP spec
or in a specification for X curve which defines a wire format. So I
don't think you can escape from it, really :-/

Regards