update for a 49th IETF WG/BOF Scheduling request

2000-10-23 12:59:42
This is an update of an Working Group request sent earlier on
October 8th:

This is an updated request for a new working group meeting at the 49th IETF.
The group is Open and Extensible Proxy Services, OEPS, in the applications
area.

There is a draft, draft-tomlinson-epsfw-00.txt, describing the architecture
of the proxy services environment, an open mailing list,
ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org,
a website, www.extproxy.org, and the presentations at a technology workshop
for this sort of architecture that was held on September 13 are at the website.

The proposed agenda is

Introduction:  Hilarie Orman
Use Cases:   Marcus Hofmann and Michael Condry
Workshop Summary: Michael Condry
Revelant ICAP Progress: TBD
Relationship to CDN Peering: Mark Day
Document Roadmap: Hilarie Orman
Architecture Discussion
Discussion of other documents
Assignments and Administrivia

The proxy services area defines protocols and API's that enable proxies extend
their services beyond protocol relays and caching.  The working group will
develop documents defining the architecture, policy model and elements, and
terminology. The working group will also work with other working groups
where that can apply this architecture to resolve problems
in under their charter.
The kinds of services where the architecture can be applied include:

        - Proxy functions such as URL accounting, and transcoding
                from a general HTML or XML description into one
                suitable for the user agent.
        - Callout services such as iCAP.
        - Content driven caching services such as for streaming.
        - Content driven network management.
        - Embedded systems director.

Protocols for delivering new services and policies related to their execution
will be defined and developed.  Other protocols, allowing the services to
communicate information about the protocol elements of the proxied protocol,
will be developed.  Cross working group problem areas, such as caching,
will focus on the proxy architecture cooperating with the appropriate
working group - such as WREC for caching.  A security
architecture for the administration of proxies with third party services will
be defined.  The API to core services, such as protocol control and use, will
be defined. This group may also be a suitable home for starting
organization of callout services. Our proxy architecture will be consistent
the needs of the CDN Peering effort. We will have formal liaisons with
WREC, CDN, or other appropriate working groups.

We expect attendance of 50 people; we would like to avoid conflict with
any WREC or CDN Peering WG's or the IPSP WG.

Hilarie Orman and Michael Condry, Chairs