Re: some suggestions for IRML

2001-02-13 15:32:49
1) I would like to see more straightforward support of "for-all" rules --
i.e., rules that trigger an action without any explicit property matching.

That's a good point. I agree that while it's possible to achieve this
with the current spec as well, a cleaner way to do it is preferable.
We need to think a little bit about how to do tis best. Not sure
whether we could simple make the "property" element optional.
Otherwise, we could introduce a special property tag indication the
"for-all" rule, something like "ANY" or so...

We could make the property element optional for services that should be
executed for all requests, but leave the action element inside property
elements for all other cases:

<rule processing-point=4>
  <action>proxylet://userprofile</action>
  <property name="content-type" matches="text/">
     <action>icap://translate?lang=en</action>
     <property name="user-agent" matches="palm">
       <action>icap://transcode</action>
     </property>
  </property>
</rule>

The corresponding part of the IRML DTD would then look like this:

<ELEMENT rule        (property | action)+>
<ELEMENT property    (property | action)+>
<ELEMENT action      (#PCDATA)

-Andre