RE: Revised Charter for BOF Discussion and Concensus

2001-03-08 11:26:18
The term surrogate has meaning beyond replica origin servers.  It is often
the case that surrogates are intermediary reverse caching proxies.  I think
the term intermediary needs to be further discussed and a term defined for
it.  In my mind, CDN surrogates are very likely to be reverse caching
proxies (i.e. shared distributed server accelerators) operating at the
delivery edge of the CDN.  I'm also aware of a number of OPES applications
that various content providers would like to have hosted on these types of
intermediaries as well.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Micah Beck [mailto:mbeck(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 9:26 PM
To: Hilarie Orman; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org;
condry(_at_)intel(_dot_)com
Cc: paf(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com; ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: Revised Charter for BOF Discussion and Concensus

If the charter does not rule out surrogates, then I'm satisfied.  I agree
that intermediaries are the primary case for OPES, and I speak up for
non-intermediaries to be considered only because there seems to me to be no
fundamental difference between the two cases.  If broadening the scope to
include non-intermediaries would complicate OPES or delay consensus, then I
agree with Marcus that it should be deferred.  It is my belief that
non-intermediaries are actually a simpler case and can be subsumed under the
more complex case of intermediaries, with perhaps minor adjustments.  I'm
willing to put in the effort to find out if that belief is true.

/micah