Re: IRML questions

2001-04-06 11:00:02
Lily,

In IRML, when a rule match is "case-insensitive", you mean the regular
expression matching is case insensitive, right? What about the name of the
header (property)?  How does http handle that? For example, are both Cookie
and cookie the same?

Whether the name of the header is case-sensitive or not depends on the
protocol the rule refers to. It would not make sense to define
case-sensitive properties (e.g. header names) if the protocol itself
is case-insensitive.

This again raises the question whether we really need this
"case-sensitive" attribute in the rule language. Why not go with the
following: If the protocol the rule refers to is case-senstive, the
matching will be case-sensitive and vice versa. Would this assumption
make sense?

2) We have "request-line" defined as standard irml header. We might consider
adding "url" to get the specific url out of request line.
So request-line is "GET http://www.intel.com HTTP/1.1" while url
is"http://www.intel.com";. It is more suitable for url-matching rules.

Would "url" be sufficient, or would it be helpful to also have
something like "server-name", "protocol-version", etc.? What is the
information we need to extract from the protocol header(s) in order to
allow flexible rule authoring?