QOS Considerations (Re: Some Enquiries on IRML)

2001-04-27 12:37:54

(2) Bandwidth/Content adaptation has been quoted in various drafts as
an
example OPES services.  IMHO, that requires QoS information to
be effective.
Is there any consideration in expanding the IRML property names
to include
QoS parameters as well? (Currently, IRML Draft defines "request-line",
"reponse-line", "request-path", "user-id", "system-date", and
"system-time").

There might be a need to include more general "environmental"
conditions in the rule language, for example the bandwidth and/or load
issue you mentioned, but also things like time, date or general
timers. Maybe there's a place for rules like "if the local load on the
system is low, execute the service locally, otherwise do a remote
callout" or similar. The design goal of IRML is to allow for such
conditions, although the current focus was on HTTP based conditions.
As we better understand the requirements, we certainly will consider
these issues.

It is my intention to develop a last-hop gateway for QoS streaming.  But
it
is now still in the "dreaming " stage, so I do not yet have solid/clear
set
of requirements.  I belive the OPES working group is most relevant to the
work I am on. Thus i hope to know the work items of the group regarding
aspects on QoS.

I'm a little unclear about what you're asking.  Are you asking for the
ability to test the QOS policy as it applies to a given stream?  For
example,

<property name="#QOS" matches="Gold|Silver">

where #QOS somehow maps to the QOS policy of the stream and then determine
the service class for that stream?  (I've grossly simplified the QOS policy
representation, of course, but I'm just trying to get a feel for the
request.

My first take on such a requirement is that it's more likely to be a
requirement for the adaptation service to be able to query the qos policy
than for the transit intermediary.  But, of course, if that adaptation
service is remote it will need to have some value passed to it as a
parameter, yes?  E.g.,

<action>callout://remote.service.com/adapter?qos=#QOS</action>

Lee M. Rafalow
Voice: 1-919-254-4455; Fax: 1-919-254-6243
IBM Internet Technology Management
IBM Corporation
P.O. Box 12195, BRQA/502
RTP, NC 27709 USA
Alternate email: rafalow(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com
Home email: rafalow(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com