RE: Efficacy of rule specification, processing

2001-06-15 14:02:49

Yep, I think we all accept that there will be some
"degradation" in terms
of the actual "line rate" that would be observed.

I'd venture to suggest that so long as the performance is
"better" than
doing it across the network and on the origin server then
you're OK.  After
all, we know that caching proxies degrade performance for
cache misses -
the key is how much they can enhance performance for cache hits.

This is a good point. It would be nice if we can have such a clean-cut
requirement. However, we also need to realize that OPES tries to go beyond
cache and so performance enhancement is only one of the reasons that we
embrace OPES. Other reasons like personalization, etc might make it harder
to judge the situation.