RE: Proxylet interface

2001-06-15 14:13:45

It is necessary to define a standard interface for the proxylet (services)
to plug into the OPES device. OMML is only the meta-data to describe some of
the characteristics of the services so that the OPES device knows how to
invoke the services. Currently there is no draft on the API yet.

To support multiple language service binding, we probably need to define API
for each language. Yes, Java proxylet would be something similar to
servelet.

Lots of issues are yet to be worked out. So it would be nice if you can
contribute your thinking along this line to the list.

Lily

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Walker [mailto:Andrew(_dot_)Walker(_at_)thundercrack(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 4:36 AM
To: 'ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org'
Subject: Proxylet interface

I am interested in proxylets.
Is there some draft idl defining the way a proxylet module would plug
into the OPES server? How should the request/response be passed to the
proxylet? I see that OMML/IRML is used to define what can be
plugged in
and when it should be invoked. The ICAP mechanism seems to be
on the way
to being well defined, but what is being done about local server
execution.

I had imagined that the proxylet interface java binding would
be similar
to the java servlet API. Is this the current feeling? Or should the
configuration language define a way to describe the module
entry point?

Andy Walker,
Chief Technical Officer, Thundercrack Ltd.
17 Rathbone street, London, UK, W1T 1ND

web:   http://www.thundercrack.com
Phone: +44 (020) 7631 1000
Fax:   +44 (020) 7631 1002
email: andrew(_dot_)walker(_at_)thundercrack(_dot_)com