RE: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

2001-06-19 13:48:35
ok,

so let us get the issues right.

It seems to me that the main issue here is to ensure the integrity of
content
from the origin source to the end consumer. In general, the problem also
include the whole Digital Right Management (DRM) of content.

In the simplest case, you can think of caching as an OPES device with the
NULL
transformation.

The DRM problems must be addressed ASAP.
Killing OPES does not solve the problem, it only delay dealing with it.

abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 3:03 PM
To: Barbir, Abbie [CAR:CC70:EXCH]
Cc: Keith Moore; Michael W. Condry; Mark Nottingham; Scott Brim;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

I still cannot see why you keep insisting that the primary purpose
of OPES is abusive?

partially because, as far as I can tell, the biggest demand
for an interface
like OPES is not for a service acting on behalf of an
endpoint, but for an
intermediary that is acting without approval of either endpoint.

for example - if you really want to design a pluggable
interface for use
by content providers or by the audience, then there's no need
to presume
that the interface is layered on top of HTTP, and there are
almost certainly
better choices than HTTP for that interface.

another reason I am concerned is because the charter is so open-ended
and vague, when there is obviously a tremendous potential for misuse.

another reason I am concerned is because of statements to the
effect that
"we don't need to be concerned about how the protocol is used" when
there is so much potential for misuse.

no, I don't think the OPES people are deliberately bent on harm.
I do think they are likely to do a great deal of harm if they are
allowed to proceed on their current course.

Keith