Re: [midcom] Proxies / ALG in Midcom framework document

2001-07-06 19:12:34

On  2 Jul 2001 at 14:58 -0700, Maciocco, Christian apparently wrote:
The concern I have if we describe ALG in this doc at this point is that as
we use SIP/RTP-RTCP/RTSP as example to describe the NAT & FW requirements,
having the ALG in the doc makes me think that I'm not too far from being
authorized by the Midcom framework to "process" these bitstreams content. If
the OPES WG is chartered, a framework enabling content processing would be
one aspect of this WG work. Considering the OPES box as a "Content level
middlebox" it will be interesting to see how it does cooperate w/ the MIDCOM
box.

What you do in a Midcom "agent" is completely out of scope for Midcom.
Midcom cares about how the agent controls the behavior (in particular
the NAT/Firewall behavior) of the middlebox functions.  You can
manipulate content all you want and the midcom protocol won't ever hear
about it.  If you want some protocol that communicates how content is or
should be manipulated, that's where you talk to OPES.

...Scott