Re: Comparison of ICAP and SOAP

2001-07-09 04:57:31

Apologies for the delay in responding. I believe that Mark's summary is pretty accurate but I would add one clarification. SOAP encompasses much broader scope that iCAP. SOAP is a whole architecture for messaging; iCAP is a very simplified vectoring protocol.

iCAP is a way of getting an object X from A to B. Specifically it does not define how this decision is made - it is simply defines the protocol by which the content is transferred.

iCAP shares a lot more functionality with CVP than SOAP. (In fact, the original work for iCAP was titled "Simplified HTTP Vectoring Protocol").

Rgds,
John