Re: OPES Failure Handling

2001-08-15 13:48:47

Well, the local system can actually override anything that
violates local policy, and if the local policy forbids download
from the alternative site, it doesn't have to execute that
action.  Your example, though, has rules for individual users
connected with failure of the service, and that's a more
complicated situation.  The original rules were presumably
put there on behalf of the virus scanning service, in order
to quickly determine what content needs scanning and
which doesn't.  Your scenario proposes that each user can
attach individual "on failure" actions to that service, and
I'd be concerned about getting too many user-specific
rules tied into the dispatch database.

Hilarie

Markus Hofmann <hofmann(_at_)bell-labs(_dot_)com> 08/15/01 02:30PM >>>

Hilarie,

The rules can include "on failure" actions, I suppose.

Yup, that's what I thought, too.

Probably the local system should be able to override that.

Why? Do you have a specific example in mind? Maybe I misunderstood
you, but I would think that it's up to the user (i.e. the rule
"owner") to specify what happens in case of a failure. For example,
the user has to decide whether she/he wants to receive a file download
if the callout to a virus scanner fails. This is the decision of the
user, the local system must not override that.