RE: Can I state what my proxylet requires?

From: Andrew Walker [mailto:andrew(_dot_)walker(_at_)thundercrack(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 4:35 PM
To: patrik(_at_)lokomo(_dot_)com; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Can I state what my proxylet requires?

On Tuesday 27 Nov 2001 2:28 pm, Patrik Johansson wrote:
Assuming there will be atlest 2 different proxylet
service-plugin APIs, is
there a way in the OPES model for me to state what lib(s)
my proxylet
requires to run?

/Patrik
Not that I've seen distributed.

There needs to be an extension of OMML to include the
relevant information
like what libraries are required, and how to install
libraries from the
service bundle on deployment. Alternatively the proxylet
bundle could include
a seperate xml descriptor explaining what it contains, and
how to use it.

Did you have any more thoughts on descriptive API bindings so
that the opes
device could marshall requests to services that don't have to
adhere to
strict API's? This is another potential OMML extension - how
to bind to the
service.

Here is one thought related to the API issue:

Quite often content providers use pretty well defined content services
offered by their web hosting provider. Consider cases when a 'system cgi
lib' is provided. The host regards these services safe. No other content
services are allowed. An example of a widely used service is 'formmail.pl'.

Assume then a content provider is interested in replicating his site (a
bunch of html, gifs files and a call to formmail.pl) to a set of surrogates;
- would it be possible that the OPES model could cover such a scenario?
- will OPES then enable the content provider to state that he/she is
requiring a 'formmail.pl' lib with a specific 'formmail.pl API'?

Mapping the scenario to the model described in
draft-tomlinson-opes-model-01.txt:
1) we have a surrogate overlay
2) content service at point 1
3) requests never forwarded by surrogate (provides full service)
4) formmail.pl provides a call out (to a SMTP server)
5) lib, API in OMML?

The other way to go is of course to Prescribe the content provider to
re-write the code and use a strict OPES service-plugin API.

regards,

/Patrik

Andy