Another comment/addition on callout requirements

2002-03-02 15:48:59

Hello,

As I am a newcomer to the OPES effort, and I understand that at this stage
(as a formal WG)
the main focus is to finalize the requirements and drive the
architecture/protocols from it,
than I wish to add my two pennies for the requirements:

Obviously the external callout servers will be used for value added services
(VAS) that require an expert, like
virus protection, or language translation. It is also assumed that these
VASs need to run on a callout server
rather then a proxylet at the OPES engine - due to its complexity.

So it is expected that there may be a few vendors that focus on such
specific VASs, and the OPES engine will wish to
use any of them - transparently.

The requirement that I wish to add is that the OPES engine will have an
automatic (plug&play)
mechanism, in the style of the DHCP but with restrict requirements on
security and authorization, to
identify a new callout server (both regular or SP callout server) in its
network domain, and register it with
a unique service identifier (if allowed - maybe in the simple case using a
configured symmetric key).

For example, the standard may say that virus protection server identifier
is:
#define CALLOUT-VIRUS-SCAN      3

and now each new callout server who is identified in the network, and at the
registration process present
that service ID, may be used by the OPES engine for that service - once the
rule action says to operate service with that ID.

Of course there will be a range of reserved numbers for proprietary
services, and a range reserved for future use, act.

As a result of this, we get a lower overhead on configuration, and there may
be a few such servers registration for the same VAS,and the OPES engine may
use them in parallel for load balancing. (there are other advantages...)

The requirement result will includes:
1) A mechanism for identifing the callout servers
2) Security for registration a callout server
3) A mechanism for registration of a new callout server - with a unique ID
4) A mechanism to de-register
5) A mechanism to identify when such a callout server turns offline

I hope I send this to the right place, and at the right time.

Cheers,

Haim Rochberger
System Architect
Comverse
Mobile Internet & Broadband Division
Office: +972-3-766-9121
Mobile: +972-54-970-504
Email: Haim_rochberger(_at_)comverse(_dot_)com
<mailto:Haim_rochberger(_at_)comverse(_dot_)com>