RE: comments on draft-dracinschi-opes-callout-requirements-00.txt

2002-03-06 14:43:27
well, as I said I think it's powerful but as you put it, before we pursue
that from a WG perspective we should look at pros and cons. Some of them:

Pros:

- service execution time can be improved significantly (there would be no
more "weakest link", or should a say slowest link)
- Failover/Reliability - If one call out server goes down it wouldn't affect
other services
- Alternative method - have the services sequentially also has its own
problems anyway (e.g., ordering and one of the servers on the sequence is
down or too slow)
- Inline with future deployments - Whether or not we have parallel requests
IMO there will be different call-out servers for different specialized
services anyway
- Some optimizations are possible, a quick example is that if you know that
the content filtering service already told you that the page will be
blocked, there is no need to go/wait for the other services/servers (as
opposed to a sequential services chain).

Cons:

- You have to make N copies of the same message (you might use multicast and
other techniques though...)
- You have to have a timeout policy to deal with slow/down call out servers
- You need to able to reconstruct the whole message again based on all the
decoupled modifications (this might be tricky..)
- More complex in the sense that the OPES local env. would need to be the
arbiter of possible conflicting services, ie, services that modify a common
parts of the same message. You can argue that this is already included in
the item immediately above.

thanks,

Reinaldo