RE: no-transform & Warning

2002-04-16 10:34:29
You need to understand HTTP 1.1. Sometimes you just want to send the host:
header (request URL filtering). Sometimes the entire payload. Sometimes you
want (for web mail virus scanning), send only part of a payload.

regards,

Reinaldo

-----Original Message-----
From: Yang, Lily L [mailto:lily(_dot_)l(_dot_)yang(_at_)intel(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 9:15 AM
To: 'Markus Hofmann'; Mark Nottingham
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org; LMM(_at_)acm(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: no-transform & Warning

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Hofmann [mailto:markus(_at_)mhof(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 7:43 AM
To: Mark Nottingham
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org; LMM(_at_)acm(_dot_)org

Mark Nottingham wrote:

These mechanisms are required in order to be
HTTP-compliant; therefore,
I'd say they should be part of the ICAP server's HTTP stack.

Hm, this assumes that the payload (i.e. the content-path
protocol) is
NOT transparent to the OPES/Callout protocol, i.e. the OPES/Callout
protocol needs to have knowledge about the sematics of the
encapsulated application protocol (HTTP in this case).

I thought this has been the case. The callout protocol is
going to transport
and transform the encapsulated application protocol data
stream, and hence
has to understand the interaction with that application protocol.

Do we want to make this assumption? Comments?