Re: no-transform & Warning

2002-04-16 10:49:33

Yang, Lily L wrote:

I thought this has been the case. The callout protocol is going to transport
and transform the encapsulated application protocol data stream, and hence
has to understand the interaction with that application protocol.

The callout protocol does transport the application messages, but the callout protocol itself does *not* transform them. As such, it is not required to understand the application protocol - indeed, protocol layering rather suggests that the (underlying) callout protocol does not make any assumptions about the (above) application protocol (just as it is assumed that TCP does not understand the higher-layer payload it transports).

There might be good reasons for us to consider characteristics of the encapsulated application protocol, I'm just wondering where to draw the line...